Sunday, January 31, 2010

upholstery part 3 cont.: putting it together

step 4: outside sides


This is what the sides look like before you start.


Lay the fabric wrong side up at the edge of the arm.


Put in a few staples to hold the fabric in place.


Lay out and staple the cardboard strip. You want the edge of the cardboard flush with (or very close) to the edge of the wood.

Most of the instructions I found said to use ply grip where I used the cardboard. My cheapie stapler is not fun to use with the ply grip so I ended up using the cardboard strip instead. I actually like it with the cardboard strip better, though. I definitely gives a cleaner edge.


Cut a layer of Dacron for a nice smooth finish.


Flip the fabric over the side of the chair and staple it to the bottom and back of the chair. Be sure you start in the middle and work your way out, smoothing and pulling everything taught. That fold in the fabric is really bothering me but I'll have to get over it. It must be due to the curve in the chair right there but I traced the pattern from the old fabric so I'm not sure what happened.


Attach the Ply Grip. Push the fabric into the Ply Grip and hammer down.

Step 5: Outside back

I followed these instructions but did a pretty bad job of it, not to mention the pink fabric is just about the most hideous thing I've ever seen. What was I thinking? First thing tomorrow morning, I'm going back to the fabric store for more of the main fabric. And then I have to order more of the tack strips, too. I'm so disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template by suckmylolly.com