Monday, January 11, 2010

Chair reupholstery

I got this great mid-century chair from Craigslist with the intention that I'd make a slipcover and be able to afford to have it professionally reupholstered some day. The chair was made by Beaucraft Inc. Minneapolis, MN. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much about the company.

What I didn't take into consideration is that slipcovers look really difficult to make well and I'm not a good sewer.

So being the overly ambitious person I am, I decided to jump into reupholstering it myself. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea. The only thing I've upholstered are dining room chairs....the kind where you screw off the seat, staple on some fabric and screw the seat back on.

Google convinced me I could do it. I read a bunch of websites, watched some videos and started taking the fabric off piece by piece. This is my chair now.

I'm a little freaked out. I took lots of pictures and notes but I can barely make sense of them now. I have a vague sense of what I need to do from online videos that I'm sure I'll have to watch a hundred more times. I'm fully prepared to pay someone to do the seat and back cushions because my sewing really is awful.

To add a little more challenge, I went to do something like this. I have dark brown and tweedy light brown fabrics and a deep berry fabric for the back and piping (which is actually called a welt in the upholstery world).

Picture from Turquoise-LA (a long time ago)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by